A Surprise For My Readers:) Wren Comes Home. Free to Read Here. Christian Story. Jesus Saves.

 




Dear Readers,

After completing Wren Comes Home, which turned out to be a longer short story of over 6 000 words, I decided to make it available to you here for free. 
Enjoy! And please share the story and the blog. Thank you. :)

With love and prayers,

Alison


***

Wren Comes Home


A Short Story


By Alison Lawrence


♡♡♡

Copyright

Copyright owner: Alison Lawrence. All rights reserved. This story is the intellectual property of Alison Lawrence, and may not be copied, sold, or published elsewhere. To share, please share this page/blog.
Wren Comes Home is a fictional story. No resemblance to any real people or places is intended.

Date of publication: 2023

Scripture quotes from: The Holy Bible, English Standard Version ® (ESV ®) Copyright © 2001 by Crossway.


♡♡♡


Dedication


To my church family.


♡♡♡


Author's Note:



The timing of the seasons in this story is in line with that of the Southern Hemisphere.

♡♡♡


Chapter One



Wren Blakeway smiled fondly at her class. All was peaceful in the group of six to nine year olds as they sat with heads bent over their comprehension exercise. She could hear the older children in Jasper Merton's class recite their multiplication tables in the room next door. The sound was muted by the thick stone wall between the two rooms. She walked between the desks ready to help any strugglers. Little Tilly sat chewing her pencil, her brow creased in confusion. The seven year old struggled to form longer sentences. Wren didn't feel too concerned. Tilly would catch up soon enough: she was a bright spark at heart. "Which question do you need help with Tilly?" Wren asked softly. The little girl smiled up at her then pointed at the troublesome question. Wren showed her the answer in the text, then placed a ruler beneath the words. She patted Tilly gently on the shoulder before walking down the next row of desks. The older children were scratching away with their pencils, no doubt hoping to speed the time. As for Wren, she felt no particular hurry. No one waited for her in the cottage she called home. No one that is, except her terrier Binky. Three years had passed since her husband's passing. Harvey had been a quiet, hardworking man. A farrier by trade, solid and honest, he'd religiously attended church and held tightly to the rules of the elders. Harvey's shop had seen a steady stream of farmers who brought their horses to be shoed. Now the cottage and shop no longer rang with the clanging of the forge. Wren could read, correct and prepare in peace, but many times loneliness sank her spirits. She missed Harvey with his quiet ways and noisy work, and her heart ached for the little ones she would never cradle in her arms.

***

A Short while later, Jasper dismissed his class of ten to twelve year olds. He'd accepted the teaching post at Kelby's farm school, with the aim of pursuing a simpler, more peaceful lifestyle. Now, only a few months later, he certainly had acquired peace and simplicity. He'd even made a start on the mystery novel he'd always dreamed of writing. What he hadn't been looking for was a romantic attraction, in the form of his pretty coworker. A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth as he walked around the classroom straightening desks and collecting stray papers. Wren Blakeway was as sweet as her namesake, with warm brown hair and eyes to match. He would have to woo her gently. The last thing he wanted was for her to fly away.

***

Wren sat at her desk and listened as the children's laughter faded into the summer air. She missed them already. Monday seemed like an age away. She stood and straightened her long print dress. Time to head home. Binky, housework, and marking waited.
"Mrs Blakeway?" Jasper poked his head around the door. 
"Oh, Mr Merton. Sorry for keeping you. You can lock up now." Wren grabbed her basket and followed him out to the porch. Jasper locked the door quickly then turned to face her. His blue-green eyes twinkled. "Well, time to give my garden some attention. The days are getting quite warm now."
"Yes, they are." She smiled. "The fruit trees need it though." Kelby was nestled in the heart of fruit growing country. Its soft fruits and grapes were ripening for harvest as they spoke.
"I'm looking forward to sampling the produce. I've never seen the fruit growing up close. City life, you know." Jasper grinned.
Wren walked down the steps, then paused. She enjoyed Jasper's enthusiasm. He was in his thirties like herself, but he had a boyish way at times. It was probably why the children liked him as much as they did. And why she liked him too. "Well, now you get to experience the entire process, including the sampling yourself."
Jasper fell into step beside Wren. They spoke about the children for a while and the upcoming assessments. "How is Wilton coming along with his math?" Wren asked. "It's always been a struggle for him, poor boy."
Jasper nodded. There were a few children in his group who battled a bit when it came to arithmetic, and Wilton was one of them. "He's getting on a bit better. I'm giving him extra attention and help, along with the other stragglers." He smiled. "There's nothing like seeing a child's pleasure when they grasp a concept is there?"
"There isn't." Wren agreed. "It's one of the things I love best about teaching."
They'd reached Wren's gate, and Jasper opened it for her. "Thank you, Mr Merton . Enjoy your weekend. And your gardening."
"It's a pleasure Mrs. Blakeway. See you on Monday." Jasper doffed his cap and walked jauntily on his way, while Wren stayed at her gate for a moment and watched him. She turned to unlock her quiet house, and found herself wishing that she could have chatted with him for longer.



Chapter Two



On Sunday, Wren made her way to the Mount Sinai Church, one of only two churches in Kelby. The coolness of the stone building felt refreshing after her walk. The somber, quiet settled around her, and she bent her head along with the other congregants. The pastor and elders took their places, their faces as solemn as the organ. Wren noted Jasper Merton's continued absence and wondered whether he attended the Protestant chapel as she knelt alongside her neighbours and recited the well known opening prayer. The pastor took his place at the pulpit, his eyes trained sternly on his sheep.
He opened his Bible, then read from Deuteronomy and Matthew. "Brothers and sisters, today I will speak on the importance of holiness. It saddens me to see the moral decay that is beginning to spread even here in our beautiful town. The evils of technology, worldly entertainment, music, and dress are creeping in." He paused, and his eyes swept through the church. "It is bad enough that these things are in the world, but should they be found in the church? Women wearing shorter skirts, loose hair and trousers, and farmers using cell phones to look up the weather?" Wren looked down at her lap and mentally checked her attire. Her dress fell just above her closed shoes, and its sleeves reached her elbows. The plain neckline allowed no extra skin to show, and her hair was neatly coiled on the back of her head. As was the custom in her church, she wore no jewelry and donned a small black headscarf for the service. As she lifted her head, she noted little variation in the women's attire. She wondered which poor woman had slipped up and invoked the pastor's ire.
"Not to mention, just last week, I had to discipline two members concerning their use of technology. Brothers and sisters, I remind you strongly once more: our hope lies in our obedience, in strict adherence to the church's regulations." Fire lit the pastor's eyes as he surveyed them. "Tell me, how do you expect to go to heaven if you are not good? Your only hope lies in obedience. That is the way to holiness and to heaven."
Wren ducked her head to avoid his gaze. She was tired of Pastor Stefan's emphasis on rules. Was that really all there was to being a Christian? She couldn't help but hope for more. Had she missed something in all her Bible reading and church attendance? Throughout her marriage, she'd attended church at Harvey's side, and had been careful to follow all the rules laid out for the women. She believed she'd become a respected church member. The question remained though whether it was enough.

***

Wren walked home alone, deep in thought. Binky greeted her at the gate with a reproving look, so she decided to pack a picnic and take him for a walk. It would be good to get outside and enjoy the breeze. After making sandwiches, she packed them along with fruit and a flask of tea into a basket. She exchanged her formal shoes for sandals and donned a straw hat and headed for the stream. Binky led the way eagerly towards the school, then down the path towards the water. The path took them past an old peach orchard and through a field. Wren felt the tension leave her body as she walked. The breeze was laden with the scent of fruit and the little stream bubbled along playfully. The scene contrasted sharply with the morning's dour church service. Wren took a deep breath. Heavenly.
She spread out her things beneath a tree whilst Binky took a long drink from the stream. Wren closed her eyes for a moment, and let her thoughts wonder. After just a few minutes though, the peace was interrupted by Binky's yapping. Wren looked around to see what was bothering him, and saw her fellow teacher walking towards the stream. "Shush Binky, it's Mr Merton." Binky complied then wagged his tail instead and bounded up to the teacher. 
"Hello Binky, Mrs Blakeway." Jasper greeted them cheerfully. "Perfect day for being outdoors, isn't it?"
Wren smiled in response to his grin. There was something so appealing about it. She found herself inviting him to their picnic. "It looks like Binky wants you to join us." The little dog had plopped himself down on Jasper's feet.
"I'd like that."
They sat opposite each other with Binky lying between them. Wren opened her basket and told Jasper to help himself while she poured the iced tea.
"When I returned home from church, Binky suggested that we have a picnic, and I agreed." Explained Wren.
"Church. Would that be the Protestant Chapel or Mount Sinai?"
"Mount Sinai. I've been a member for many years now. My husband was a church deacon." Wren smiled a little sadly. "Do you attend the Protestant Chapel Mr Foster?"
Jasper shook his head and shrugged slightly. "No. I don't belong to a church. It's all a bit too formal for my liking." He smiled into Wren's eyes then gestured expensively at the lovely scene surrounding them. "I suppose you could say that this is my church. It's where I feel most connected to the Creator."
"I think I can relate to that." Wren said softly. 
"What is your church like?" Jasper prompted.
"Oh, you know. It's very traditional. Formal. Lots of rules." Wren shrugged. "It's the way it's always been." 
Jasper stroked Binky on the head before responding. "That's why I don't go. I do believe in God, and I read the Bible. I guess that's enough for me right now."
Wren struggled with the idea of not attending church. Church had been such a big part of her life. But she was oddly relieved to know he wasn't an atheist.
"I feel closer to God out here somehow." Wren admitted. Her eyes met Jasper's and she read sympathy in them.
"I understand." He smiled, then stood. "It looks like Binky's getting restless. How about we take him for a walk along the stream?"
"Good idea, Mr Foster. I'll just pack these things up."
They followed Binky's lead, and walked alongside the water. Leaving talk of God behind, they found themselves chatting about the school and Jasper's former life in the city. "It must be hugely different for you. Do you miss it?"
"The city? No, not at all. I'm a country fellow at heart." Jasper chuckled. "All of the noise and rushing isn't for me." He turned to Wren. "Have you always lived in the country Mrs Blakeway?"
Wren nodded. "Oh, yes. Apart from a few trips here and there, Kelby has always been my home. Once I finished my education, I returned to Kelby for good."
Jasper took a deep breath of country air. "I can see why you did."
Wren smiled. "Of course, the main reason I stayed was Harvey. We were married as soon as I returned from college."
"I'd like to hear about him. He was the town farrier?"
"Yes, he was well loved. His customers came from near and far. He was a kind, hard working man. I miss him." Wren sighed.
Does he still occupy all of your heart? Or do I have a chance? Jasper wished he could ask. Would Wren be able to love again after being married to a man like Harvey?
"It can't be easy." Said Jasper simply.
"It isn't." Wren admitted. "But on days like this I feel a lot less lonely." She smiled at Jasper, and his heart warmed. 
"I know exactly what you mean."
Wren met Jasper's gaze shyly. A feeling of happiness blossomed inside her. Could God have sent this sweet man her way just when she was feeling so low?
Binky's rustling in the bushes as he chased a lizard, reminded her that she needed to get home. She called him, and the three of them walked back the way they'd come. Jasper carried her basket and they walked on companionably. Wren couldn't remember when last she'd had such a good conversation. They discussed books they both loved until they reached her gate. 
"Thank you, Mrs Blakeway. I enjoyed the afternoon so much. And getting to know you and Binky here better."
Wren's eyes sparkled as they met his. "You're welcome." She blushed prettily. "It was good getting to know you better too. And Binky thinks so as well." She laughed. "By the way, Mr Merton, I was thinking; perhaps we could use each other's first names? Strictly out of school that is."
"Of course." Jasper grinned. "I'd like that. I'd like that very much…Wren."
"Goodbye then, Jasper…See you tomorrow."
"Yes, Wren. See you tomorrow."
His smile was contagious and Wren grinned back. What a very, very nice man.



Chapter Three



"You're spoiling me, Jasper." Said Wren. It was Friday, and Jasper had insisted on carrying her basket home for her every day after school ended. Jasper had a car but he preferred to use it for longer trips only or if the weather was bad.
"You deserve some spoiling Wren." Jasper smiled. "I'll keep on carrying your things if you'll let me."
"That would certainly get the neighbour's talking." Wren laughed.
"Would you mind?" Jasper asked softly. They'd stopped under the tree at her gate. Wren's eyes met his and held his gaze. "I don't believe I would." As Wren spoke, she realized that she meant it. Not only would she not mind Jasper's continued company on her daily walk home, she thought, but also something more.
Jasper's face lit up. "Same here. Let them talk if they want to. Wren, I was thinking, if you're free tomorrow, would you go for a drive with me? We could have lunch somewhere."
Wren didn't have to think long about her answer. "I'd like that. Thank you Jasper. I'd like that very much."

***

Wren floated into her house. Thoughts of Jasper filled her mind. He was kind, funny, and intelligent. He loved the same books she did as well as animals and nature. All of that plus good looks. I'm acting like a schoolgirl. Her face heated, and she laughed a little. Pull yourself together, Wren. Binky needs dog food and you need something for supper. Wren allowed herself only a quick cup of tea, then headed out once more for the grocery store.
Once there, she wandered around a bit. Her mind was not on shopping, but rather on her charming fellow teacher. She was gazing at the bags of dog food, when a cheerful voice interrupted her daydream. "Hallo Wren. Keeping Binky happy, I see." Wren turned and greeted her friend, Gretchen. "Yes, he's run out of food. And I've got to get something for my supper too. What, I don't know." She laughed. "How have you been, Gretchen? I didn't see you on Sunday." 
"Well, I've actually never been better, Wren. I'm glad I ran into you, because I want to tell you something. Could I come home with you once we've shopped?"
Wren agreed quickly. She would always make time for her best friend. Gretchen had been a strong support since Harvey's passing. If Gretchen needed to talk, then she'd make time for her.

***

Gretchen placed her milk in Wren's fridge temporarily, then sank gratefully onto a kitchen chair. Wren thought her friend seemed lovelier than ever with her blonde hair falling in waves about her face and an extra sparkle in her light coloured eyes. She poured lemonade into two glasses, and encouraged Gretchen to share what was on her heart.
"Well, it's like this, Wren. You know how I've been feeling dissatisfied with our church for a while now? Well, I've started attending evening services at the Protestant Chapel." 
Wren nodded, not too surprised by her friend's admission.
Gretchen had already endured several visits from the elders: she'd been seen wearing trousers, and she'd questioned the pastor about some of the church rules. To their minds, the single woman was unruly as well as a potentially dangerous influence.
"You'll be disciplined for that Gretchen." Wren frowned. "Although, you know I don't agree with their heavy-handed ways."
"I expect they'll visit, but it won't do any good. I'm saved now, Wren. I'm joining the Protestant Chapel." Gretchen's face shone. "I needed to tell you Wren. I've been born again. I feel like a new person. I repented of my sin and asked Jesus to save me. "
Wren's eyes were wide, and her mouth formed an o, but Gretchen went on. "At the meetings I learnt that no amount of rule keeping and legalism can save you or get you into heaven." She paused for breath. "Only the blood of Jesus can wash us clean Wren. I finally understand. And I'm free, so free."
"Does that mean you'll start dressing in a worldly way and use the internet?" Wren looked at Gretchen. Her friend didn't look too different. She still wore one of her long print dresses, although her hair was free from its customary bun. Gretchen took a sip of lemonade and leant forward. "You don't have to worry that I'll dress in an indecent fashion Wren. The Bible is clear on the issue of modesty. The sisters at the Protestant Chapel also take care to dress modestly. But get this Wren, they wear jeans or trousers if they want to. Nothing tight or skimpy of course. As for the internet and TV, I'm really not interested in becoming a couch potato, but I may use the internet with care." She paused then, thoughtful. "At the end of the day, it's not about clothing; about the outward. It's about the inner man or woman. Whether you know the Lord or not. Things like modesty do need to be thought of, but they're not the central issue. I'm not better than someone else because my dress is longer than hers. And wearing a bun won't get me into heaven." She smiled and touched Wren's hand. "Do you see what I'm saying?"
Wren spoke slowly. "I think so. Maybe. To be honest, Gretchen, I've been having some doubts about the way our church does things myself." She sighed. "I think Pastor Stefan may have been alluding to you in Sunday's sermon Gretchen. He spoke about trousers and loose hair."
"Well, I won't be a problem to him any longer."
"I'll miss you Gretchen. Who will sit next to me?" Her heart sank at the thought of her friend's departure.
Gretchen squeezed Wren's hand. "I'll miss you too. Wouldn't you like to attend a meeting with me? Perhaps it will help answer any questions you may have about my new church home."
Wren toyed with her glass. She idly drew a J in the condensation. The idea of going to Gretchen's new church made her nervous. The Pastor and elders could easily find out about her crime. How would it look for the town's respected lady teacher to be visited by the elders? But this was important to Gretchen. "What do you mean by being saved? It sounds a bit prideful."
Gretchen's eyes looked a little mischievous as she answered. "Maybe I'll leave that question for my new pastor to answer. Please say you'll come."
Wren nodded slowly. "Alright. But only because you're my friend and I'm concerned for you. I don't want you to get hurt, Gretchen."
Gretchen rose to collect her milk. "Don't worry, Wren. I'm safe. And loved. But most importantly, I have the Lord. I'm a bit worried about you though."
Wren whipped around, her eyebrows arched. "Why?"
Gretchen shrugged. "I've seen the way Mr Merton looks at you Wren. And I've seen the way you look at him. Promise me you'll be careful."
Wren's temper flared. "I'm not a schoolgirl, Gretchen." It embarrassed her that her feelings for Jasper were so obvious.
"I just don't want to see you hurt."
Wren calmed down. She ducked her head and changed the subject. "Let me know when you want me to go with you."
"How about this Sunday evening?" Gretchen gave Wren a quick hug, and Wren squeezed her back. "I'm sorry for overreacting, Gretchen. But please don't worry about me. Jasper is the perfect gentleman."



Chapter Four



"This makes a nice change from the taxi." Wren smiled as she got into Jasper's car on Saturday. 
"Seriously, Wren, anytime you need a lift, just let me know." He was mystified as to why Wren's church frowned upon women driving. Wren had told him that she'd felt obliged to sell her husband's car after his passing. "I'll be your taxi driver, and I won't charge."
Wren laughed, but shook her head. "It wouldn't be right to expect that of you."
They pulled away, and Wren noticed that Mrs Avery, her neighbour, was gawking at them. She waved at the startled woman. Let her think what she wants. Nosey old thing. 
"It's a beautiful day for a drive, isn't it?" She turned to Jasper.
"It's perfect." He smiled. Just like you. Jasper stopped himself from saying the words. Perhaps I will soon, though.
The winding road took them through the area's fruit farms and vineyards. Farmhouses, both plain and fancy, dotted the landscape, and the rugged, majestic mountain rose to their right.
"I've missed going for drives like this." Wren's eyes greedily took in all the lovely sights as they climbed the mountain pass.
"That's why I wouldn't want to be without my car. I love exploring the area, whenever I can." Jasper shook his head. "It's wrong, Wren, the way your church controls you. They've no right to prevent you from driving. And I don't think God would approve either."
Wren looked down at her lap. She felt ashamed of her church's harsh ways. But what could she do? It was sweet of Jasper to care though. "I somehow don't think so either." Wren glanced at Jasper. His light coloured curly hair added to his youthful appearance. "Tell me about the place we're going to. I've never been before."

***

Later, Wren lay in bed, dreamily going over the day. They'd dined at a romantic country inn, complete with exposed beams and oak flooring. They'd sat outside, overlooking rolling lawns shaded by giant old trees. The stuffed mushrooms and trout were the best she'd ever tasted, and the apple pie was perfect. But nothing compared to the happiness she'd felt in Jasper's company. Once again, they'd conversed about everything: the school children who occupied a large place in both of their hearts, their own school years, as well as their families. They'd covered just about everything as they ate in a leisurely fashion, and afterwards as they strolled about the delightful grounds. The highpoint of Wren's day came as they stood beneath a venerable oak. Jasper spoke openly about why he was still single. He took her hand in his, and their eyes met in a moment of understanding. "I've been on my own all these years, Wren, and somehow, the right person never came into my life. Now I'm beginning to understand why."

***

The following morning, Wren attended church as usual. She looked surreptitiously around her and wondered what her fellow members would think of her plan for that evening. She kept her eyes on her lap, not wishing to meet Pastor Stefan's piercing gaze. No doubt, her plan would outrage him, even though her intentions were honorable. Her mind wandered to her date with Jasper, and the corners of her mouth lifted in a smile. Undoubtedly, the Pastor would be displeased about the date too, seeing as Jasper wasn't a member. Wren clasped her hands on her lap and stiffened her spine. No elder or pastor was going to spoil her happiness. She was falling in love with Jasper Merton, and nothing they could do or say could change the way she felt.

***

Gretchen knocked on her front door at 5:30. "Ready? You'll enjoy the service, Wren, I promise." She studied Wren's face. "It's so different from what we're used to. And the worship is so sincere."
"I'll give it a chance." Wren glanced up and down the street before locking the door. She'd dressed exactly as she had for her own church service, with the addition of a light cardigan. Her rich brown hair was neatly secured in a low bun. Gretchen, she noted, was similarly dressed, but her shoulder length hair was loose. "Do you still wear a headscarf?." Hers was in her purse ready to be put on once they reached the chapel. 
"There's no hard and fast rule about head covering. The women are free to wear one or not to. At this point, I've chosen not to."
"I see." The rest of the short walk passed in silence. Wren imagined twitching curtains all along their way. She felt quite relieved when they reached the Chapel.

***

Her first impression of the Chapel was how genuinely friendly the people seemed. She recognized a couple of her students and their parents, and instantly felt more at home. Everything was conducted in a respectful and orderly manner, but the singing was uplifting, and obviously heart felt. Gretchen glanced her way and smiled. Wren nodded, but turned her attention back to the pulpit. The pastor was about to speak. Wren found herself listening intently to his words as he read from the Book of John and the Book of Romans. His voice sounded unusually kind and moderate to Wren's ears, but his passion and sincerity came through as clearly as his message: no amount of rule keeping and being good could get you into heaven. "It is simple enough for a child to understand: only by trusting in Jesus' death on the cross to save you, can you attain eternal life. We are saved by grace. Yes, it is simple, but we must still count the cost." The pastor paused for a moment. He seemed to be praying. "Romans 3:23 says, 'For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.' It is by grace, and grace alone that we are saved. You may ask, what about works then? Do they not count? The obvious answer is that they do. We are created to do good works, as led by the Holy Spirit. But always remember, they cannot save you. Jesus alone can do that."

***

When the service ended, Wren stepped out into the silky evening air. She was certain of two things. She needed to look up the verses the preacher had spoken of, and she needed to think and pray about all she'd heard.



Chapter Five



"Good work, Tilly. All of your answers are correct." Wren smiled as she gave Tilly her exercise book. "Keep up the good work." The little girl's face lit up. "I will Mrs Blakeway." She began to write once more, and Wren continued up the row, stopping at each desk to talk with its occupant. Wren loved teaching, and even though it was tempting to let her mind dwell on the events of the weekend, she disciplined her thoughts. 
At lunchtime, Wren invited Jasper to have lunch with her under the big tree in the playground. They'd have a clear view of the children from there. She'd deliberately packed enough lunch for two.
"Special occasion?" Jasper grinned as he sat beside her on the bench.
Wren shook her head and smiled. "I don't need one do I?" She teased. "Actually, I wanted to tell you about the service I attended yesterday."
"Oh, yes. How was it?" Jasper didn't sound interested, but Wren told him anyway. She knew he wasn't keen on going to church, but thought he should know how different the Chapel was to Mount Sinai.
"Very interesting. And the people are friendly." Wren glanced over at Jasper, who was staring off into the distance. "I'm thinking of going back. The pastor's given me a lot to think about. I've already started looking up the verses he quoted. To be honest, what he said made sense, and it's in the Bible. It's just that all these years, we've been taught so differently."
Jasper remained quiet, and Wren wondered whether he was pondering what she'd said. "Will you go with me next time Jasper? I think you may like it."
Jasper shrugged. "Perhaps. I'll think about it, Wren." Then snapping back to his usual cheerful manner, he asked, "how about another drive Wren? This time, I'll pack a picnic, and we'll eat at the waterfall. It's a perfect spot."
Wren felt a bit concerned by Jasper's continued indifference to church going, but she accepted his invitation eagerly. The fact that Jasper wasn't interested in church didn't make him a bad person.

***

Wren put all concerns aside and just enjoyed Jasper's company that Saturday at the waterfall. If anything, the date was even more perfect than the last, with dreamy weather, and gorgeous surroundings. "Thank you for bringing me here, Jasper. I feel like I'm having a mini holiday." Wren laughed. 
"I'll bring you here every weekend if you like." Jasper took her hand in his as they watched the rushing water of the falls."Would you like to hear something crazy?" 
Wren could only nod. Her heart did a little dance. 
"I've fallen in love with you, Wren. And I want to marry you one day. What do you say to that?"
Wren gave a little gasp of joy. "Oh, Jasper, I feel the same way." 
Jasper kissed her tenderly, and her response told him all he'd been longing to know: Wren was ready to love once more. 

***

"Mrs Blakeway, the elders and myself would like to have a word with you." Pastor Stefan waylaid Wren after the morning service a week later. His grim expression prepared Wren for the worst. They knew about her illegal visits to the chapel. "This way please." He led Wren to the front of the church, where the three elders were waiting. Wren squared her shoulders. There was nothing to be done but to hear them out and give her defense. "Mrs Blakeway, we have been informed of your disloyal and unseemly behavior. Not only have you been seen entering the Protestant Chapel, but it has also been reported to us that you are romantically involved with Mr Merton." The Pastor took no care to lower his voice, and two stragglers looked their way. "Are you not aware, Mrs Blakeway, that a non-member like Mr Merton is a completely unsuitable companion for you? He is unchurched and therefore no better than a heathen. As for your disloyalty to our church, we insist that you stop attending meetings at the Chapel at once. If you do not, your membership here will be revoked." Four sets of eyes stared grimly at her. "And of course, you must cease your relationship with Mr Merton. We trust that you will obey us, Mrs Blakeway? Especially considering your late husband's standing in the church. Why would you want to dishonor him?"
Wren's voice trembled, but she stood her ground. "I do not wish to dishonor Harvey, and I don't believe I am. I have done nothing wrong. Mr Merton is a good man, and as for the Chapel, I like going there." Her voice strengthened. "I'm learning more there than I have ever learned here, and I plan to learn more. So, strike me off the membership roll if you wish, gentlemen, but I can't obey you." Then turning quickly on her heel, Wren fled for the entrance. She was aware of a commotion behind her, but she kept going. Her eyes blurred, but she didn't stop until she reached her front door. A new and freeing thought came to her once her heart rate had slowed. She was free to go to the Chapel and free to marry the man who'd stolen her heart.



Chapter Six



Wren began attending both the morning and evening services at the Chapel. Gretchen was delighted by the new turn of events, and did everything she could to make Wren feel at home. Wren compiled a list of questions for Pastor Roberts, and she kept these tucked inside her Bible ready for Sundays. That Summer, the rest of her free time was spent with Jasper. They were careful not to visit alone in her house or his, as their love for each other grew. Instead, they saw one another in public places and went on drives to surrounding towns. On one trip to the coast, Jasper proposed to Wren at a seaside restaurant. "I'll love you forever, my sweet Wren." They agreed to marry in May, as neither of them saw any reason for a long engagement. It would be a small ceremony, with only a few family members and friends present.
"Don't worry Jasper, I won't fly away." Wren teased him happily. I want to be yours forever."
They kissed as the waves thundered their applause.

***


After dropping Wren off at her house after their special day, Jasper took a slow drive home, his heart and mind full. Wren was going to be his: this special, bright, and lovely woman. His little bird. She'd said yes. He smiled as he thought of her stubborn, determined streak: how she'd marched out of that legalistic church of hers, and refused to give in to their demands. How he loved her for choosing him over them. His only concern was that Wren's new church would suck her in too, and although Wren seemed to accept the fact that he wasn't a church-going man, she continued to invite him to go with her to the Chapel. He sighed as he pulled into his yard. Should I give in and go? I know it would make Wren happy. Jasper made himself a cup of coffee, and walked out to his verandah. The crickets had begun their nightly chirping competition. He decided that he would go to church, for Wren's sake. But still, he wondered how his heart would respond after so many years of avoidance.

***

The following Sunday, Wren donned a pastel coloured dress with wing sleeves. Instead of her usual bun, she wore her long hair clipped up on both sides. She hummed happily as she got ready: Jasper had finally agreed to go to church with her. When Jasper arrived, he took her hand in his and they walked the short distance to the church together. "I think I may like this church." Jasper admired Wren's new look. It suited her.
Wren glowed as she smiled across at him. "I think you will."

***

At first ,Wren was a bit distracted by Jasper's presence beside her. But when she glanced his way, she saw that he seemed completely absorbed by the hymn singing, and then afterwards, by the sermon. Wren turned her own attention back to the Pastor's words. She followed along in her Bible, and as she did so, a feeling of conviction settled over her. She was a sinner, and her greatest sin was believing that she could get into heaven by doing good works. She also blushed to think of how impure her thoughts had been, especially since falling in love with Jasper. In her mind's eye, she saw a long line of nasty sins like pride and selfishness stretched out behind her. Wren knew she was in trouble. All these years she'd been counting on her good works and her church-going to save her. Now she knew they could not. She sat with her head bowed whilst a feeling of shame washed over her. Then, as Pastor Roberts spoke once more of Jesus' death on the cross, she felt hope rise within her. When at the end of the service he invited all who would be saved to come forward, Wren went at once. She didn't even stop to wonder what Jasper would think or say. All she knew was that she needed Jesus.



 Chapter Seven



"Could we walk a little?" Wren knew that Jasper had a date planned for that afternoon, but she needed to speak with him right away. 
Jasper nodded, his face quite somber looking. "We could go to the stream. Would you like to change your shoes, and fetch Binky?"
At her house, Wren grabbed her walking shoes and Binky's leash, as well as a couple of bottles of water. They could eat later. What she had to say couldn't wait.
The day was warm, but a little breeze blew through the recently harvested fruit trees. The stream called to them as they walked hand in hand through the orchard.
"You first."Jasper smiled. "I can see you're bursting to tell me."
"Oh, Jasper. At church this morning, when I went up, I repented and gave my heart to Jesus." Wren laughed happily, then continued, needing to explain. "I had it all wrong, you see. I was trusting that going to church and following the rules would save me, but they never could. Now I'm truly saved. I'm trusting in Jesus to save me, and I will go to heaven one day." She laughed again. "Isn't that wonderful Jasper?" 
They'd reached the stream. Jasper stared at the water as it bubbled over the rocks for a moment, before turning to Wren. Tears filled his eyes, but he allowed them to come. "I'm so happy for you Wren. I'm so happy. But I'm mad at myself."
Wren placed her hand on his arm. "Why would you be angry with yourself?"
Jasper led her to a large rock and they sat down side by side. "I told you that I used to go to church Wren, but I haven't been completely honest." He sighed. "I was saved in my late teens, Wren. Just like you were today. At first, I loved and served the Lord with my whole heart. But after a while, I became lazy. I drifted away from the Lord. I made excuses: I was studying, or working, or playing. I started going to church less and less. I reasoned that it wasn't necessary. I could read my Bible and worship at home. After a while, I stopped going altogether."
"Did anyone talk with you? Try to get you to go again?" Wren, newly saved, struggled to comprehend how Jasper could have done what he had. 
"Oh yes. My church family certainly tried. But I was in a downward spiral. I began to neglect my Bible, and I hardly ever prayed. You see, Wren, my eyes were focused on the world, not on Jesus."
"I'm glad you told me." She squeezed Jasper's hand, as her own tears fell.
Jasper spoke again. "When you went forward this morning Wren, I went forward too. One of the elders prayed for me. I repented. I recommitted my life to Jesus." Jasper looked down. "Now I must ask your forgiveness Wren, for not being honest with you, and for being selfish. For not being the man I was meant to be. Will you forgive me?" His tears fell as he looked at Wren. He'd messed up so badly and wasted so many years. Would Wren still want to marry a quitter like himself?
In a moment, he knew the answer as Wren leant forward and gently kissed away the tears on his cheeks. "Only if you forgive me for being selfish and stupid." She smiled tenderly. "I love you Jasper. With Jesus' help, I always will."
Binky came running up to them, barking, and jumping, no doubt impatient to walk again. They took a slow walk back, past the farm school, where it had all begun, and along the road they'd walked hand in hand so often. This walk was different, for now they spoke of their shared faith, and of their Saviour. "There's something I'm looking forward to very much." Jasper's eyes sparkled, and he chuckled softly.
"What's that?" Wren smiled.
"I'm looking forward to going to church with you Wren. For the rest of our lives."


***


End Note


Although works and church going cannot save you, they should be an important part of the Christian's life. In your opinion, would Wren and Jasper's Christian walk and marriage be strengthened by regular church attendance?

"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near."

(Hebrews 10: 24,25)


Thank you for reading my story. :)
Please share with friends and family who may be helped or encouraged by it. Comment and let me know if you liked it.

Love and blessings,
Alison










Comments

Popular Posts