One Problem too Many. Flash Fiction

 

Flash fiction


One Problem too Many



I pressed the laptop power button. Nothing. This can't be happening. I groaned. So many things have gone wrong already this week.
The kitten looked at me quizically with his bright eyes. He was the only one paying attention. The children were oblivious: they were not the ones who had to replace broken items around the home.

I slumped in my chair and mentally ticked off all of our recent problems: one: a flat tyre. Two: a broken pair of glasses. Three: a toaster that had given up the ghost. And now this.

"What's wrong, Mom?" Cheryl had entered the room. "The laptop had better not be broken. I need it for school, and I want to play games."

I sighed. "I'll try to turn it on again, but something's not right."

Cheryl let out a groan, then went to tell the others. I poked the button. Hard. Nothing. Pushy jumped up onto my lap and I stroked him while he kneeded and purred. Oh, to be a cat, I thought. I stared at the blank screen and remembered rather belatedly to pray. "Oh Lord, this is really the last straw. I just don't see how I can keep going. Problems just keep piling up, and I feel like such a failure as a mom.The children spend way too much time playing games..."

It hit me then, as I stared at that silent screen. Didn't God say that He would work all things together for good? It had been a tough week, but in those quiet moments, I heard a whisper of hope and felt God's comforting touch: we were going to be OK.


***

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose."

Romans 8:28
(KJV)

Story copyright: pencil in His Hand.


Ps: God willing, I will be posting the first chapter of "The Yearning" on Monday. Thanks for visiting! May God bless you.




Comments

Popular Posts