The Waiting Room. Episode Three. Oliver

 

Free serialized story. End-Times. Romance



The Waiting Room. Episode Three: Oliver



"I booked a table for  two at The Fig Tree." Oliver said as he opened the car door for Tara. "You'll love it."
Tara smiled at her handsome date. "It sounds fabulous." Oliver was several years older than she, and already a rock star in the world of design. Tara on the other hand, was still studying at business college and working as a waitress part time. "You've been there before." She said. Of course he had. Oliver was always having lunch with clients. At the best restaurants.
"Yes." He flashed a smile her way.

Oliver ordered the fig and camembert starter and the couple settled in for a relaxed evening. But Tara found her mind wandering back to where it had been before  Oliver picked her up.
"Do you believe in God?" She asked. Her voice sounded loud in the quiet ambience of their surroundings.
Oliver's fork clattered to his plate. "God? Which one?"
"The God of the Bible. I just wondered."
Tara avoided Oliver's eyes, and looked towards the pretty courtyard instead.
"Oh. No. I don't. I don't. I don't believe in God." Oliver's tone was blunt, self-assured. "The Bible is a well written collection of made up stories and the thoughts of men, but intelligent, modern people don't take it seriously." He looked at her pointedly, then gestured to the waiter to re-fill his glass. "Why do you ask?"
Tara just smiled faintly then shrugged. "Like I said, I just wondered."
Oliver stroked the back of her hand. "Why don't we talk about something else?" 
She nodded, and complied. They talked about his work and her assignments and ate the best steak Tara had ever tasted, but her mind was a million miles away.

Later, as they left the restaurant, Oliver draped his arm over Tara's shoulders. "Let's go to my place. I've been missing you."
Tara hesitated. Part of her wanted to say yes. She liked Oliver; might even be falling in love with him. He spoiled her and made her feel beautiful. But...
"Not tonight." Her voice was soft but sure. "I have an appointment."
"This late?" Oliver's eyes narrowed. "With whom?"
Tara resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Not with a guy. With a book I've been meaning to read. And it's waiting on my bedside table."

***

Copyright: pencil in His Hand

***

Love and prayers,

See you soon:)







Comments

Popular Posts