Writing for the Lord. Plus a Couple of Poems & News!

 

Fishing boat at the river


Writing for the Lord



‭Colossians 3:23-24 ESV‬
[23] Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, [24] knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. 

https://bible.com/bible/59/col.3.23-24.ESV



Dearest Readers,

This post will contain my thoughts on writing, but this really applies to all we do. :)

When I first started writing more seriously, I believe my heart was right. I truly wanted to encourage people and to share the Gospel through my writing. With much help from God, I wrote my heart out. I wrote with passion. For Him.

There was really no thought of financial success. I did imagine possibly receiving a few donations, but that was all. I made the books available for free, but wasn't able to reach many people.

After a while, I stopped writing. I was busy.

It wasn't too long though, before I picked up my pen once more to write poetry, and later, short stories.

At that time, I began to look around for ways to make an income from home. I decided to publish my books on Amazon and see what would happen.

It was a good learning experience. I had never published anything more professionally before, and had to teach myself the how to's of self-publishing.

The down side, is that trying to sell books became my main focus. I was no longer truly writing for the Lord, even though I was writing Christian content. I had a noble cause, to help bring money in, but it wasn't enough.

Writing just so I can sell books and get nice reviews, is not what God wants for me. He wants me to write, (and work,) for Him. Just as I should do my chores for Him.

As I write content to bless, encourage, and share the Gospel, I must put my full trust in Him. God will provide for my needs. He is my Father and the one I work for.

I have not arrived at some place of perfection in obeying God in this, but I am learning and growing. And I am enjoying writing so much more.

I pray that this little post will also encourage you as you do your work for the Lord. 

Blessings,

Alison


I'm happy to announce that the sequel to "The Yearning" will be posted on Monday, God willing. :)


Scripture and Poetry










Photos: Alison Lawrence. Taken in the evening at the Berg River.


Copyright: Alison Lawrence

Comments

Popular Posts