The Waiting Room. Episode Eight. Tara's Testimony

 

Free inspirational story


The Waiting Room. Episode Eight: Tara's Testimony



"I feel so happy. So light." Tara laughed as she sat across from her mom at the table. "But I should imagine everyone feels that way when they are saved. I feel brand new, you know? Like a load's been lifted from me."

Robin nodded as tears blinded her vision. "I know, I know." She clasped Tara's hands in hers. "I'm so very happy for you."

Tara squeezed her mother's hands. Her own eyes had grown watery. "Thank you Mom. For praying for me. And for never giving up."


*** 

"You win the lottery?" Katya asked as Tara stowed her bag in the staff room. "Or did Oliver bring that big grin to your face?"

"Nope. Neither. It's Jesus. I belong to Him now." Tara's eyes sparkled even as Katya's face darkened. 

"Well don't you try converting me, and remember it's against the law to share your faith at work." Katya tied her apron around her waist with sharp movements. "I guess Oliver doesn't stand a chance now that you've got religion. You can send him my way. I could do with a rich boyfriend."

Tara just ignored the comment.

Jonah shrugged his backpack off of his shoulders. "Seems like you could do with some Jesus' joy yourself Katya. Give Tara a break. Anyway, you're outnumbered. I asked Jesus to save me last night." He looked over at Tara and their eyes met in celebration.

Tara grinned. "That is just so cool."


***


Before starting her shift, Tara quickly dialled Oliver's number. "Could you meet me for coffee at Brew? There's something I need to tell you." Oliver sounded surprised, but he agreed to meet Tara when her shift ended.

"Two cappuccinos." Tara smiled as she placed the order. She didn't feel right about letting Oliver buy. Not now. Not if it might be their last date.

"So, what's up?" Oliver slid next to her in the booth and drew her near. "You sounded excited on the phone. Good grades?"

"I am excited." Tara took a deep breath and prayed for the right words. "I've been going to some End-Time meetings. They made me realize that I need God. That I need His forgiveness." Tara heard Oliver's quick intake of breath and felt his arm stiffen. She plunged on. "So I repented of my sin and asked Jesus to save me. I belong to God now. I'm saved. And Oliver, God wants to save you too."

Oliver seemed to shrink from her. His tone turned icy. "No thank you! Tara, are you OK? This sounds like some cult you've gotten caught up in. Just now you'll be wearing a long dress and a head scarf. It's not healthy. All these people want is to control your mind. And they'll have a bunch of rules: no smoking, no drinking, no sex. Am I right?" His gaze pierced her own. "Well, I can assure you, that it will be over between us if you insist on being a Christian. You'll need to choose Tara. God or me. You can't have both."


***


Copyright: pencil in His Hand


Episode Nine






Comments

Popular Posts