A Devotional For Mothers.

 


 








Inspiration for Moms






Scriptures, Prayers and Thoughts






By Alison Lawrence




 Illustrations by the author.




Copyright: Alison Lawrence. 2023. All rights reserved.








All Scripture quotes from the Authorized King James Version.


Rights in the Authorized (King James) Version of the Bible are vested in the Crown.


Rights in the Authorized (King James) Version of the Bible are administered in the United Kingdom by the Crown’s patentee, Cambridge University Press.












Introduction




It's tough being a Mom! (Mom of six speaking here!) We need all the encouragement we can get, whether we have one, two, three or more children. The challenges begin at pregnancy and never end. As Moms we never stop loving and praying for our children. Along with the tough moments, we also experience many joys, and that is what makes motherhood worthwhile. Here are some of my favorite Scriptures for Moms and women along with prayers and thoughts for each.












Chapter One




Luke 9:48


“Whosoever shall receive this child in My name receiveth Me; and whosoever shall receive Me receiveth Him that sent Me; for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.”




Dearest Lord,


Please help us to be humble like little children and not to think too highly of ourselves. We may be mothers, but we were once children too.


Amen.




Thought:


This verse is multi-faceted, but it made me think at once of how we as mothers receive our children. We receive them into our wombs, then after forty weeks or so, we receive them into our arms. May we keep receiving them into our arms and hearts long after they’ve left babyhood behind.




My Mom had us in her thirties. She loved being a mom and sewing dresses for the three of us. :)










Chapter Two




Luke 10:41-42


“And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: but one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”




Dearest Jesus,


Thank You so much for putting Martha and Mary into Your Word. I need their story. I need to learn from them.


Amen.




Thought:


I come back to Martha and Mary often. I know I am a natural Martha, yearning to be a Mary. When I get it right,(only with the Lord’s help,) things go much more smoothly in my life and home. Nobody likes a stressed-out mom, but the more time I spend with Jesus, the more like Him I’ll become. Yes, Mary is a good role-model, but I must strive to become more and more like Jesus.










Chapter Three




Luke 13:34


“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not.”




Dearest Father,


Your love is so amazing. Please help me to love my children the way You love Yours.


Amen.




Thought:


Although this verse is about Jerusalem, it presents a precious picture of God’s love for His people. Jesus wants to take them under His wing, as a hen takes its little ones into the shelter of her feathers. Mothers must be a shelter to their husbands and children. A comforting, loving presence.




I have sweet memories of coming home from school to my mom. She often had tea and something to eat ready for us. The tea was made in her teapot, of course and our cats would join us in the kitchen.










Chapter Four




Titus 2:3-5


“The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things. That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.”




Dearest Lord, 


Thank You for showing us the way in Your Word. Please help us as we seek to obey You and to be the wives and mothers You want us to be. Please forgive us for failing You and continue to lead us.


Amen.




Thought:


We need to pray that more older women will come alongside younger women to help, teach and encourage them. We need to pray too, that younger women will accept their help.




My Grandmother set a lovely example of love and faithfulness to us as we grew. Both her cookies and her nature were good and sweet.










Chapter Five




Proverbs 31:30


“Favor is deceitful, and beauty is vain: But a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.”




Dearest Lord,


I want to fear You and please You. Please help me not to put the physical before the spiritual.


Amen.




Thought:


It’s a good thought as we age: outward beauty is not the main thing. We cannot stop the aging process and it is important that we have peace about our appearance. Younger women need to arrive at this place too. Don’t leave it until you’re in your fifties: start cultivating a beautiful spirit from a young age.












Chapter Six




Ephesians 5: 22-23


“Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and He is the savior of the body.”




Dearest Father,


Thank You for the authorities You have placed over us. Please bless them and please help us to respect and obey them.


Amen.




Thought:


It is good for children to grow up in a home where authority is respected: where there is order. This is a God-given order and not something people made up. We need to model a respectful attitude for our children to copy.










Chapter Seven




1 Timothy 2:9


“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.”




Dearest Lord,


Thank You that I don’t need to be rich to look attractive. Thank You for making my heart lovely as You work in and through me.


Amen.




Thought:


I love the idea that I can look beautiful without expensive clothes, hairstyles and make-up. How refreshing in today’s consumeristic world. Although there isn’t a ban on these things, they are not a requirement for true beauty.




When I think of my Gran and my Mom, I remember the kindness and love in their eyes. It’s not their wrinkles or gray hair that stand out to me.










Chapter Eight




1 Peter 3:3-4


“Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting of the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God a great price.”




Dearest Jesus,


Thank You for dying for me so that I too, can become beautiful.


Amen.




Thought:


The words which jump out at me in these verses are “meek” and “quiet.” These two qualities are so desirable in a wife and mom. They paint a picture of a calm and peaceful woman; a woman who is content in her role, yet strong and courageous. She is self-controlled and has no need to be constantly giving her opinion or nagging. This is the woman I strive to become for the sake of my family.












Chapter Nine




Psalm 23


“The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want…”




Dearest Jesus,


Thank You for being my precious Shepherd. Thank You for leading and carrying my family and I. Without You, we won’t make it.


Amen.




Thought:


Psalm 23. So well known. And so comforting. Mom’s too can find great treasure in this Psalm. Here is the picture of our gentle Shepherd taking care of all of us; taking care of the mothers with their young. Allow Him to lead you and help you today.










Chapter Ten




1 Corinthians 13


“Charity suffereth long, and is kind…”




Dearest Lord,


How wonderful Your Word is! We can know what Your love looks like and by Your Spirit, we can love our families and others the way You love. Thank You.


Amen.




Thought:


It’s good to spend much time meditating on 1 Corinthians 13. When you do this, you’ll be mining for diamonds and gems in God’s Word: treasures to take into your heart and to live out in your home.






***






Smocked Dresses






Smocked dresses blow gently




Through my thoughts,




All pastel shades and white




Embroidered with roses,




Each stitch made with care




As Mom sat by her window,




Making dresses for girls,




For weddings and birthdays.




Sewing machine whirring




And stopping for tea




In the kitchen




Where dresses were cut on the table




And the pleater made pleats




For Mom to cover;




A garden of color.








I’d wish she would stop




And do something else,




But now she’s gone,




And I wish I could watch




Her smock again




And tell her




I love her roses.









Comments

Popular Posts