If God is Enough, Do you Need all that Stuff? A Devotional

 




If God Is Enough, Do You Need All That Stuff?





Inspiration For Simple Living



By Alison Lawrence



Photographs and drawing by the author




Copyright: Alison Lawrence. All rights reserved.










Scripture from the Authorized King James Version.


Rights in the Authorized (King James) Version of the Bible are vested in the Crown. Rights in the Authorized (King James) Version of the Bible are administered in the United Kingdom by the Crown’s patentee, Cambridge University Press.














Introduction




The Bible is clear: you don’t need all that stuff! That doesn’t sit too well with us though. We may nod our heads as we read the verses, but when it comes to our stuff and to the way we live our lives, we’re rather clingy.




Realistically speaking, it can be very hard to let go; to not worry; to stress less. Our brains struggle to find a more relaxed tempo and we balk at the idea of living simply, fearing that we’ll get stuck in boredom. Mac n Cheese every night anyone?




Fears and brain wiring aside though, it can be done. You and I can take God’s Word seriously and begin to live it out - in the power of the Holy Spirit.














Chapter One




Matthew 6:19-21




“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break in and steal: but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt and where thieves do not break through and steal: for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”




Father,


Please help me not to lay up treasures on earth or to put my hope in them. May my hope be in You alone. 


Amen.




Note:


Put God first in Your life. Refuse to have any idols. Seek first His kingdom. Once you have your priorities in order, it will be much easier to deal with your earthly treasures. Declutter, give away, throw away. This is an on-going process. Make a daily decision to let go: let go of excess stuff and anything that has become an idol. I find it easy to get rid of clothes or shoes. My struggle is with books and things that used to belong to my Mom. With God’s help though, I’ve been able to make some progress and have kept only the most meaningful things like a little china lamp decorated with roses and a favorite tea cup for my Earl Grey. I also have a few special books, one signed by my sister.










Chapter Two




Matthew 6:25


“No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. Therefore I say to you: Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; nor what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not life more than meat and the body than raiment?”




Dear Father,


I put You first, trusting that You will provide for me. Please help me not to worry, but increase my faith. 


Amen.




Note:


We hoard and accumulate excess because we fear going without. We need to exercise our faith wings instead: give away your excess items to the poor, trusting in God to provide for you when you run out of something. It is ok to have an extra towel or an extra bottle of shampoo, but bear in mind that you may need to make do with one if someone else has none. Our house is small, so I prefer not having too many extras. There are times when I am blessed with things I can’t use myself. I keep them just until God shows me who to give them to. 












Chapter Three




Luke 9:57-58


“And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto Him, Lord, I will follow Thee whithersoever Thou goest. And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man hath not where to lay His head.”




Dearest Jesus,


Thank You for giving up Your throne and riches, so that we can be saved. Thank You for Your great sacrifice. 


Amen.




Note:


Knowing that Jesus Himself did not have His own house when He lived on earth, helps us to put things in perspective. Society measures success by certain accomplishments: degrees earned, houses bought and the type of car you drive. It is good to remember that the majority of people do not own their own house. If Jesus Himself did not own one, is it really as important as we make it out to be?




We can choose to live more simply by buying or renting a smaller house or apartment. Perhaps a tiny house would work for you? Many of us live simply not through choice, but through necessity. In our case, living simply allows me to stay home with my children. Living in a small house keeps our expenses down. My housework takes less time, so I can spend some minutes in the garden each day, where I am trying my hand at growing vegetables.












Chapter Four




Luke 10:27


“And he answering said, '' Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself.”




Dearest Lord,


I give You my whole life, laying everything down, so I can pick up my cross and follow You. Please strengthen me and help me. I want to live for You and obey You.


Amen.




Note:


People and things fall into their proper places when our priorities are in order. God has made all things good and simple. We are the ones who over-complicate everything.


Simplifying my life has helped me in this area. I don’t watch much TV, spend minimal time on YouTube and other social media platforms. I don’t ban them: I practice self-control. (Although in the past I have chosen to leave them for a while.) I also cook and bake simply, wear almost no make-up and keep my wardrobe simple. All of these measures help me to prioritize time with God and family. I also have time to be an active member at my church fellowship and to practice some interests like writing, drawing, knitting, crochet and coloring in. 












Chapter five




Luke 12:15


“And He said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.”




Dear Father,


Please forgive me for being greedy and for wanting more than I need. Thank You for everything I have. Please help me to be content. You are all I need.


Amen.




Note:


Make do with what you have. Want a home-makeover? Maybe you have some forgotten pictures stashed away. Need a book to read? Perhaps you bought one a while back that you haven’t gotten around to reading. Tired of your clothes or decor? Why not add some embroidery or up-cycle something? Try using old magazines and books to make paper flowers and bunting. Or turn your old jeans into a doorstop or cushion.












Chapter six




Proverbs 15:16


“Better is little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure and trouble therewith.”




Dearest Lord, 


Thank You for blessing me. Thank You for what I have. Thank You for helping me to be content. Thank you for filling me with Your joy.


Amen.




Note:


It is a fact that possessions can bring trouble. The fewer things we have, the simpler our lives will be. When we declutter our homes and lives, we make room for God and the things of His Kingdom. Don’t only declutter your home though: try decluttering your phone and to-do list. You can also declutter your diet and simplify your exercise routine. Delete unused apps, slow down and do less. Choose meaningful activities, enjoy nature and go for a walk.












Chapter seven




1 Timothy 6:17


“Teach those who are rich in this world not to be proud and not to trust in their money, which is so unreliable. Their trust should be in God, who richly gives us all we need for our enjoyment.”




Dearest Father,


Help us all to trust completely in You and not in money, jobs, employers or in anything else. Thank You for blessing us so faithfully.


Amen.




Note:


How wonderful it is to rest and trust in God! What peace we experience when we do.


It is possible to live in simple trust, enjoying the blessings of God and the simple pleasures that are ours to enjoy: drinking a cup of tea on a shady bench while birds sing, listening to some inspiring music or taking a walk near lapping water.












Walk with Me




Will you go down with me




To the river?




Place our feet in the




Watery cool,




Holding hands as we




Stroll by the river,




Just being, laughing




Then still,




As we watch the birds 




At the river,




Breathing deep




Until we are full.










Conclusion




These are just a few Scriptures that speak to me as I continue on my own journey of simple living. I am not a theologian, but I do believe that God’s word encourages us to put Him first, to not love the world and to live a simple life. May God bless and help you as you journey on with Him.


Simply yours,


Alison.

















































































































Comments

Popular Posts