Poems from a Busy Brain

 


 










POEMS FROM A BUSY BRAIN




Alison Lawrence














ADD BRAIN










My thoughts are white


rapids tumbling,


through a brain that's a


roiling sea.


I spy the peaceful


banks and spaces,


but the river is


carrying me.




I see a little pool of hope,


where gentle waters flow


and birds and flowers soothe ...


where colorful swathes delight


and call to enter in.




With God's help I will get to that place, 


of peaceful steps and thoughts


where my brain will find true rest


in a calm and trusting way.
















JOY










Choosing joy when




I want to grumble,




choosing joy so I do not stumble,




a joy that bubbles right on through




the dreary gloom that threatens you.




Choosing joy in rain and snow,




choosing joy when cheer is low.




It's not about a fake, bright smile




and trying to bear it for a while,




this joy is everlasting, true,




and yours when Jesus lives in you.


















IDOLS








There are so many idols,




so many things 




that pull for our attention,




so many idols, 




so many things,




will Jesus get a mention?




















TAKE-OVER BID











have


too


many


thoughts




They rush around, and through and over,


carrying on their insistent conversations


in my head, galloping around, trying to


dominate the small and precious space




that


is 


my


quiet


time.




















THE BIBLE










Do you have a Bible?




Oh yes, 




it's here somewhere,




I think -




under this pile




of papers,




till-slips,




magazines,




games




and romances.




Oh look:




there's that letter




I was looking for!




I'm going to put the kettle on




and read it.




My Bible?




Oh, I'm going to be




decluttering soon.




Maybe I'll find it.


























HOSPITAL








Sitting counting bricks




I am surprised by her smile




in the waiting room.






























RACING








My brain races on




and I am carried along




'til I see Jesus.






























DIVERSE










Autism says no




to noisy busy rushing




the world of ADD




























GARDEN SCENE










Sunbirds and weavers




flitting, chirping, building nests




my cat dreams murder.






























SILENCE










Do you know that




silence?




Not a tranquil pause:




the silence when




no one asks you




how you are.
































PEN VS PENCIL










Your world is penned 




in black and white.




Feelings threaten




the clear lines you have drawn.




In mine, there are feelings




and thoughts




shaded




from H through B.




















































SUNDAY










I wake ready for action




ready for busy.




I sigh in relief:




it's Sunday 




and I can rest in Him.




























JOURNEYING










Bushes blanket




and grasses wave,




traveling on,




traveling on,




past a patchwork quilt




of sage and gold




traveling on,




traveling on




while low scruffy hills




roll and ride along,




traveling on,




traveling on,




cumulus clouds




in turquoise sky




traveling high,




traveling high.






















OH!






Oh Lord, thank You




for the house You've made for me;




I've never seen it,




but I know it is delightful.




And thank You for Heaven 




its beauty eternal




is waiting for me,




beyond all ability to tell.




And yet more amazing still,




that I will see Your face,




and spend




each day




with You.






























IN MY POMEGRANATE TREE






White-rimmed eyes in




leaf green and yellow blending




flits round ruby globes.










































PAIN








In painful suffering silence




I give my hurts all to You.




Not knowing if they'll ever change,




yet I know Your heart aches too.




























SIMPLE






I am a simple soul,




writing simple things




of God and His great love.




Similes and metaphors are fine,




and so are lines which rhyme,




but not when they hide the simple truth.




So I'll keep writing simple things




of God and His great love,




a simple soul with no need to impress,




only His grace to confess.




























SPRING CLEAN






Decluttering, cleaning,




wiping and washing,




then polish and shine.




Busy, busy, busy




in the home.




But I need attention too:




to be washed by His blood,




made clean and new,




decluttered and polished,




ready to serve,




ready to love only You.












































LITTLE BIRD






Perching on her bough,




in drizzle or sun,




the little bird is cheerily content:




but watching from the window,




steeped in anxious, worried thought




is the one who is called Christian,




yet heeds not what He taught.












































GIVEN OVER






My worries and cares have grown wings,




I have given them all to the King.




He knows my lowly condition




and he bids me to live without fear.




He holds my hand and loves me




while I take all to Him in prayer.
































HIS NAME






To whisper His Name




is to paint a love Divine




and to speak "Jesus" 




begins a symphony




of love and power.














The End








Please share if you enjoyed these poems. :)



Comments

Popular Posts