Pencil Poems

 



Pencil Poems



Dearest Readers,

The inspirational poems below used to be on my blog, "Pencil Poems."

I am simplifying my blogging, and thought it would be a good idea to move them over to my main blog, and place them in a single post.

I hope that you will find comfort and hope as you read them alongside God's Word.

Going forward, any poems I pen will be posted on this blog. My Afrikaans content will remain here: Link:

Also, please note that I have made a few changes on this blog. Due to the risk of copyright infringement, my longer stories and books (fiction titles), are now only available on Inkspired.

Visit my Books Page for more free stories and poems.

Blessings💖🙏,
Alison.



***


Wonder



When I survey the stars above;

when I dwell on His beauty; love,

I know His might will see us through:

for there is nothing God can't do!



He gives to us all things we need:

from air, and light, to tiny seeds;

creation bright, good clothes, and bread,

and precious Living Word He's shared!



Don't let the battle get you down:

for soon our King will give us crowns.

Don't turn your back or cease to fight.

Our Jesus helps us shine so bright!



***


Inspiration: 

Psalm 8:1-9 ESV


[1] O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. [2] Out of the mouth of babies and infants, you have established strength because of your foes, to still the enemy and the avenger. [3] When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, [4] what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him? [5] Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. [6] You have given him dominion over the works of your hands; you have put all things under his feet, [7] all sheep and oxen, and also the beasts of the field, [8] the birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea, whatever passes along the paths of the seas. [9] O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!


https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.8.1-9.ESV


***


For Good



All is working

towards my good:

I trust You now:

You said I should.

Sometimes the road

seems dark and dim,

but when I trust,

Your light shines in.

Lord help me stick

to tested ways,

praying, trusting,

all of my days.



***

Inspiration:

Romans 8:28 ESV


[28] And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 


https://bible.com/bible/59/rom.8.28.ESV


***


Victory



Evil darkness aims its bow,

and everywhere the wicked go,

weeds of hatred surely grow.

But from God's Word, we truly know,

the wicked, He shall overthrow:

His healing, cleansing love will flow.



***


Inspiration:

Psalm 10:1-18 ESV


[1] Why, O Lord, do you stand far away? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble? [2] In arrogance the wicked hotly pursue the poor; let them be caught in the schemes that they have devised. [3] For the wicked boasts of the desires of his soul, and the one greedy for gain curses and renounces the Lord. [4] In the pride of his face the wicked does not seek him; all his thoughts are, “There is no God.” [5] His ways prosper at all times; your judgments are on high, out of his sight; as for all his foes, he puffs at them. [6] He says in his heart, “I shall not be moved; throughout all generations I shall not meet adversity.” [7] His mouth is filled with cursing and deceit and oppression; under his tongue are mischief and iniquity. [8] He sits in ambush in the villages; in hiding places he murders the innocent. His eyes stealthily watch for the helpless; [9] he lurks in ambush like a lion in his thicket; he lurks that he may seize the poor; he seizes the poor when he draws him into his net. [10] The helpless are crushed, sink down, and fall by his might. [11] He says in his heart, “God has forgotten, he has hidden his face, he will never see it.” [12] Arise, O Lord; O God, lift up your hand; forget not the afflicted. [13] Why does the wicked renounce God and say in his heart, “You will not call to account”? [14] But you do see, for you note mischief and vexation, that you may take it into your hands; to you the helpless commits himself; you have been the helper of the fatherless. [15] Break the arm of the wicked and evildoer; call his wickedness to account till you find none. [16] The Lord is king forever and ever; the nations perish from his land. [17] O Lord, you hear the desire of the afflicted; you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear [18] to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, so that man who is of the earth may strike terror no more.


https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.10.1-18.ESV


***


Still


It's He Who guides,

Who walks beside,

and leads us

through each day.

He brings us to

that quiet, still place

so we can rest;

gaze on His face.



***


Inspiration:

Psalm 23:1-6 ESV


[1] The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. [2] He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. [3] He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. [4] Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. [5] You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. [6] Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.23.1-6.ESV


***


Hope



I'm expecting The Lord

to help me today:

I can walk this path

if I watch and pray.

For The Lord is my Refuge,

A safe place is He.

My hope is in Him;

From my sin I've been freed.



***


Inspiration: Psalm 27


***


Psalm 27:1-14 ESV


[1] The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? [2] When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall. [3] Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident. [4] One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple. [5] For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock. [6] And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the Lord. [7] Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud; be gracious to me and answer me! [8] You have said, “Seek my face.” My heart says to you, “Your face, Lord, do I seek.” [9] Hide not your face from me. Turn not your servant away in anger, O you who have been my help. Cast me not off; forsake me not, O God of my salvation! [10] For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me in. [11] Teach me your way, O Lord, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies. [12] Give me not up to the will of my adversaries; for false witnesses have risen against me, and they breathe out violence. [13] I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! [14] Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!


https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.27.1-14.ESV


***


Rolling



Roll all onto Him;

Roll all onto Him:

Every worry,

Every care.

Roll all onto Him;

Roll all onto Him.

Now walk in His joy

without worry or fear.



***


Inspiration:

Psalm 37:5 AMPC


[5] Commit your way to the Lord [roll and repose each care of your load on Him]; trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) also in Him and He will bring it to pass.


https://bible.com/bible/8/psa.37.5.AMPC


***


Upward Struggle



As sin and sorrow overwhelm;

sink us down to dank despair,

darkness, fear, and grief descend,

and mourning seems to have no end.

Til, struggling to the surface,

gasping just for one more breath,

reaching for our only home:

Jesus Christ; forever Hope.



***


Inspiration:

Psalm 38:1-22 ESV


[1] O Lord, rebuke me not in your anger, nor discipline me in your wrath! [2] For your arrows have sunk into me, and your hand has come down on me. [3] There is no soundness in my flesh because of your indignation; there is no health in my bones because of my sin. [4] For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me. [5] My wounds stink and fester because of my foolishness, [6] I am utterly bowed down and prostrate; all the day I go about mourning. [7] For my sides are filled with burning, and there is no soundness in my flesh. [8] I am feeble and crushed; I groan because of the tumult of my heart. [9] O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you. [10] My heart throbs; my strength fails me, and the light of my eyes—it also has gone from me. [11] My friends and companions stand aloof from my plague, and my nearest kin stand far off. [12] Those who seek my life lay their snares; those who seek my hurt speak of ruin and meditate treachery all day long. [13] But I am like a deaf man; I do not hear, like a mute man who does not open his mouth. [14] I have become like a man who does not hear, and in whose mouth are no rebukes. [15] But for you, O Lord, do I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer. [16] For I said, “Only let them not rejoice over me, who boast against me when my foot slips!” [17] For I am ready to fall, and my pain is ever before me. [18] I confess my iniquity; I am sorry for my sin. [19] But my foes are vigorous, they are mighty, and many are those who hate me wrongfully. [20] Those who render me evil for good accuse me because I follow after good. [21] Do not forsake me, O Lord! O my God, be not far from me! [22] Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation!


https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.38.1-22.ESV



***


Only Hope


My refuge, hope,

my Rock, my All.

In You, I trust

Lord, lest I fall.

Lord, slow me down

and take my hand,

lead me on through

storm and sand.

Our Refuge, Hope,

our Rock and Friend:

our One True Joy,

right to the end.



***


Inspiration:

Psalm 40:1-17 ESV


[1] I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. [2] He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. [3] He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord. [4] Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, who does not turn to the proud, to those who go astray after a lie! [5] You have multiplied, O Lord my God, your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us; none can compare with you! I will proclaim and tell of them, yet they are more than can be told. [6] In sacrifice and offering you have not delighted, but you have given me an open ear. Burnt offering and sin offering you have not required. [7] Then I said, “Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me: [8] I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.” [9] I have told the glad news of deliverance in the great congregation; behold, I have not restrained my lips, as you know, O Lord. [10] I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart; I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation; I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness from the great congregation. [11] As for you, O Lord, you will not restrain your mercy from me; your steadfast love and your faithfulness will ever preserve me! [12] For evils have encompassed me beyond number; my iniquities have overtaken me, and I cannot see; they are more than the hairs of my head; my heart fails me. [13] Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me! O Lord, make haste to help me! [14] Let those be put to shame and disappointed altogether who seek to snatch away my life; let those be turned back and brought to dishonor who delight in my hurt! [15] Let those be appalled because of their shame who say to me, “Aha, Aha!” [16] But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation say continually, “Great is the Lord!” [17] As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God!


https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.40.1-17.ESV



***


Shelter



Tucked away, so

safe and loved,

Your eternal 

wings above.

A heart that's fixed,

fixed just on You:

ever praise 

Your love so true.



***



Inspiration: Psalm 57



Psalm 57:1-11 ESV

[1] Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by. [2] I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me. [3] He will send from heaven and save me; he will put to shame him who tramples on me. Selah God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness! [4] My soul is in the midst of lions; I lie down amid fiery beasts— the children of man, whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords. [5] Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth! [6] They set a net for my steps; my soul was bowed down. They dug a pit in my way, but they have fallen into it themselves. Selah [7] My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody! [8] Awake, my glory! Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn! [9] I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. [10] For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. [11] Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth!


https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.57.1-11.ESV



***


Assured



Swaying frail in the breeze,

like daisies so are we:

for life is short, and death so sure,

but He has died for you and me.



***


Inspiration: 


Psalm 49:1-20 ESV


[1] Hear this, all peoples! Give ear, all inhabitants of the world, [2] both low and high, rich and poor together! [3] My mouth shall speak wisdom; the meditation of my heart shall be understanding. [4] I will incline my ear to a proverb; I will solve my riddle to the music of the lyre. [5] Why should I fear in times of trouble, when the iniquity of those who cheat me surrounds me, [6] those who trust in their wealth and boast of the abundance of their riches? [7] Truly no man can ransom another, or give to God the price of his life, [8] for the ransom of their life is costly and can never suffice, [9] that he should live on forever and never see the pit. [10] For he sees that even the wise die; the fool and the stupid alike must perish and leave their wealth to others. [11] Their graves are their homes forever, their dwelling places to all generations, though they called lands by their own names. [12] Man in his pomp will not remain; he is like the beasts that perish. [13] This is the path of those who have foolish confidence; yet after them people approve of their boasts. Selah [14] Like sheep they are appointed for Sheol; death shall be their shepherd, and the upright shall rule over them in the morning. Their form shall be consumed in Sheol, with no place to dwell. [15] But God will ransom my soul from the power of Sheol, for he will receive me. Selah [16] Be not afraid when a man becomes rich, when the glory of his house increases. [17] For when he dies he will carry nothing away; his glory will not go down after him. [18] For though, while he lives, he counts himself blessed— and though you get praise when you do well for yourself— [19] his soul will go to the generation of his fathers, who will never again see light. [20] Man in his pomp yet without understanding is like the beasts that perish.


https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.49.1-20.ESV



***


Wait



Wait steady on Him, dear soul:

The only One Who can save.

Strong, and sure, A Rock is He:

Cling fast to Him all of your days.



***


Inspiration:

Psalm 62:1-12 ESV



[1] For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. [2] He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. [3] How long will all of you attack a man to batter him, like a leaning wall, a tottering fence? [4] They only plan to thrust him down from his high position. They take pleasure in falsehood. They bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse. Selah [5] For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. [6] He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. [7] On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. [8] Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah [9] Those of low estate are but a breath; those of high estate are a delusion; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath. [10] Put no trust in extortion; set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, set not your heart on them. [11] Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God, [12] and that to you, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For you will render to a man according to his work.


https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.62.1-12.ESV



***



Gathering



All who've found redeeming grace;

soon will gather in That Place:

For we are bought with His dear blood;

and now are safe from fire and flood.



***


Inspiration:

Psalm 50:1-23 ESV



[1] The Mighty One, God the Lord, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting. [2] Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God shines forth. [3] Our God comes; he does not keep silence; before him is a devouring fire, around him a mighty tempest. [4] He calls to the heavens above and to the earth, that he may judge his people: [5] “Gather to me my faithful ones, who made a covenant with me by sacrifice!” [6] The heavens declare his righteousness, for God himself is judge! Selah [7] “Hear, O my people, and I will speak; O Israel, I will testify against you. I am God, your God. [8] Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you; your burnt offerings are continually before me. [9] I will not accept a bull from your house or goats from your folds. [10] For every beast of the forest is mine, the cattle on a thousand hills. [11] I know all the birds of the hills, and all that moves in the field is mine. [12] “If I were hungry, I would not tell you, for the world and its fullness are mine. [13] Do I eat the flesh of bulls or drink the blood of goats? [14] Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and perform your vows to the Most High, [15] and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.” [16] But to the wicked God says: “What right have you to recite my statutes or take my covenant on your lips? [17] For you hate discipline, and you cast my words behind you. [18] If you see a thief, you are pleased with him, and you keep company with adulterers. [19] “You give your mouth free rein for evil, and your tongue frames deceit. [20] You sit and speak against your brother; you slander your own mother’s son. [21] These things you have done, and I have been silent; you thought that Iwas one like yourself. But now I rebuke you and lay the charge before you. [22] “Mark this, then, you who forget God, lest I tear you apart, and there be none to deliver! [23] The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me; to one who orders his way rightly I will show the salvation of God!”


https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.50.1-23.ESV


***


Poems copyright: pencil in His Hand.


***







Comments

Popular Posts