The Waiting Room. Episode Five. Katya and Jonah


Free serialized story. 


The Waiting Room. Episode Five: Katya and Jonah



In a lull during the busy supper time rush, Tara opened the dishwasher. Her friend and fellow waitress, Katya, began loading it with glasses, and flatware.
"Why not come with me tonight?" Tara asked brightly. "You've always been interested in the spiritual side of things." Tara knew it was highly unlikely that Katya would agree to go to the End-Time meetings, and would be very surprised if she said yes. She had in fact surprised herself by accepting her mother's invitation to the church meetings. 
Katya closed the dishwasher door firmly. "No thank you. I'll go to just about anything except a Christian meeting. Narrow minded people are not my thing, and you know it. Why are you going, anyway? I thought you walked away from the church ages ago."
Tara looked over at her customers before answering. They all seemed happy enough. "I guess I started thinking again. You know, the world's really upside down right now. It would be nice to have some answers. I started reading my Bible again too, and it's making sense."
Katya's blonde bob bounced as she shook her head vehemently. "You're nuts, Tara. Why go backwards? But I guess it's your bad." She shook her head once more before heading off to her section. 
Tara shrugged then began clearing a vacated table. She really hadn't expected Katya to be interested. 

"Here, let me take that. I'm headed for the kitchen anyways." Jonah appeared at her side, his usual upbeat self. After Katya's sharp words, it felt like a breath of fresh air. "Thanks Jonah, I'll grab the chance to check on number five."
"No problem. Say, what was Katya letting off steam about?"
"I'll fill you in later." Tara grinned. 
As she worked her tables, she couldn't help wondering whether Jonah would be interested in the rejected invitation.

***

After the shift, as they collected their backpacks and jackets, Tara took a few minutes to tell Jonah about the cause of Katya's bad mood.
"They're End-Times meetings. You know, prophecy and all that. But what the guy's been talking about makes sense when you see what's going on in the world."
"Sounds interesting." Jonah held the restaurant door open for her as they walked out. "I've always wondered whether something like Armageddon could actually happen."
"Why not come tomorrow night? You're off aren't you?"
"Sounds like a plan." He smiled. "And something you're going to can't be as bad as what Katya was making out."
"Great! I'll whatsapp you the time and address." Tara smiled, and Jonah's deep brown eyes smiled back. "See you there."


***

Copyright: pencil in His Hand



 



Comments

Popular Posts